Sunday, March 2, 2008

Just because it is doesn't mean we should








I appreciate the way the internet is a vibrant and generous mode of disseminating information. But... If we are swamped with images like this then how do we ever get to see the great art (however you want to define it). We still need to make choices and though I may want to choose to cover my gallery walls with an image of a vegemite jar, I still need to be able to discern whether it is worth my time, effort and money to do so. Just photographing an everyday item doesn't make it worth doing it, there has to be more than just the desire to document something's existence. As carriers of the memories of out lives and of others we need to be aware of the redundancy that can overtake our activity and so impair our capacity to remember the significant moments in our lives.

Original image found at http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

1 comment:

net_goody said...

So, tell me, where are the lists of your fav books?? LOL